HTC Flyer runs on Android 2.4 Gingerbread and uses HTC Sense user interface which brings its 3D home experience to users. Both Samsung Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak 7 use Android 2.2 or Froyo and are upgradeable to Gingerbread. HTC is focusing more on its Sense UI rather than its android platform as it states in its press release: "HTC Flyer blends HTC's trademark design language with an all-new HTC Sense user experience that has been reimagined for the tablets.
HTC Flyer sports a single-core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon processor under its hood which will give it more processing power than Samsung Galaxy Tab which has 1 GHz Hummingbird processor. However, Dell Streak 7 is fired by a dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 processor which makes it lightning fast compared to HTC Flyer and Galaxy Tab.
Comparison of Screen Resolution & Battery Life.
HTC Flyer sports a 1024x600 pixel screen resolution which is the same as Galaxy Tab while Dell Streak 7 offers only 800x480 in resolution. However, Dell Streak, in spite of the lower screen resolution, offers only 4 hours of battery life. Although HTC Flyer also offers 4 hours of battery life, it scores over Dell in that it offers higher screen resolution. Samsung Galaxy Tab though beats them both with its 7 hours battery life with a screen resolution of 1024x600 .
Internal Memory & RAM
HTC Flyer sports 32 GB of internal memory while both Streak 7 and Galaxy Tab offer 16 GB in internal memory. Also Flyer has 1GB RAM compared to Galaxy's 640MB and Streak's 512 MB RAM. Flyer has an edge with higher RAM and more storage capacity .
The HTC Flyer weighs at .91 pounds which though less than Streak 7's 1 pound weight is more than Galaxy's 0.83 lbs. Thus Galaxy Tab scores on this front as it is lighter on hand doing justice to its 7-inch form, as users expect a 7-inch tablet to be lighter than a 10-inch tablet which measures around 1.6 pounds like the Motorola Xoom.
Camera specifications of the HTC Flyer are the same as Dell Streak i.e a 5 MP rear-facing camera and a 1.3 MP front facing camera for video chat. Samsung Galaxy Tab on the other hand is rather challenged on this front as it offers 3 MP rear and 1.3 MP front facing cameras .
Additional Features in HTC Flyer as compared to Samsung Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak
· Although HTC Flyer brings a key differentiator in that it offers a stylus which aids note taking. The technology is called HTC Scribe Technology which also uses a feature called Timemark which enables a user to capture the audio of a meeting in line with the written notes. Thus tapping on a word in the notes instantly takes a user to that exact place in time in the audio recording of the meeting.
· While HTC comes into the crowded tablet market where better options like Android 3.0 running devices are available, HTC can certainly compete in the 7-inch category which seems rather less crowded compared to the 9.7 and 10-inch form factor where Motorola, HP, LG, Samsung and iPad are slugging it out.
HTC Flyer Specs
· 7 inches screen
· Screen resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels
· Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255
· HDMI support
· DLNA support
· HSPA support
· 1.3MP front VGA camera
· 5MP primary camera with LED and face recognition