Pinpoint the common elements that characterize them. These would include the ability of the husband and wife:
1. To communicate with each other.
2. To be close and mutually interdependent.
3. To meet each other's practical and emotional needs.
4. To work and play together, and to plan, meet and solve their problems cooperatively.
5. To share the duties and pleasures of parenthood.
6. To take pride and pleasure in each other's accomplishments and sense of self-esteem.
7. Not to be self-centered as a couple, but to be productive members of the community as individuals and as a couple.
8. To respect each other's views not to look upon a difference in opinion as criticism or loss of love.
9. To argue without quarrelling and to settle arguments without prolomged periods of hostility or estrangement. (A happy marriage does not necessarily mean one that is altogether devoid of any problems or conflicts.)
10. To cultivate a sense of humour.