Some consumers grow and juice wheatgrass in their homes. It is often available in juice bars, alone or in
mixed fruit or vegetable drinks. It is also available in many health food stores as fresh produce, tablets, frozen
juice and powder. Growing wheatgrass to about seven inches tall is optimum for its health benefits. Simply
place selected grain in about one-inch of organic soil to enjoy one of the most cleansing and nutritious juices.
Indoor grown wheatgrass grows from 8-14 days before it is harvested.
Wheatgrass Juice Facts
1. 30 ml of freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice is equivalent in nutritional value to 1kg of leafy green
2. Wheatgrass contains over 90 minerals, including high concentrations of the most alkaline minerals:
potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium.
3. It contains the essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a
powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme),
Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body
cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging).
4. Just one teaspoon of Wheat Grass powder, weighing a mere 3.5 grams, is nutritionally equal to an
entire spinach salad weighing a full 50 grams.
5. Wheatgrass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots.
6. Wheatgrass juice helps your body to build red blood cells which carry oxygen to every cell. By
increasing the oxygenation the body you can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your
endurance during physical exercise.
7. Wheatgrass contains 19 amino acids, the building blocks of protein.
Nutritional Value of Wheatgrass Juice (Per 100 gm)
Nutritionally, wheatgrass is a complete food that contains 98 of the 102 earth elements. Wheatgrass is
considered to be a complete food because it contains every amino acid, vitamin, and mineral (some in only
trace amounts) necessary for human nutrition. No complete nutrition analysis of wheatgrass or wheatgrass
juice is available in the literature. It is mentioned that 1 ounce of fresh wheatgrass juice is equivalent to 2.5
pounds of vegetables in nutritional value. 1 ounce of wheatgrass has more vitamin C than 1 ounce of
oranges. 1 ounce of wheatgrass has twice the vitamin A than in 1 ounce of carrots. It is said that 25ml of
wheatgrass is equivalent in vitamins, minerals and amino acids to a kilogram of fresh garden vegetables in
• Calories 21.0 Cal
• Carbohydrates 2.0 gm
• Fat 0.06 gm
• Water 95 gm
• Sodium 10.3 mg
• Iron 0.61 mg
• Folic Acid 29 mcg
• Dietary Fiber < 0.1 gm
• Glucose 0.80 gm
• Calcium 24.2 mg
• Magnesium 24 mg
• Selenium < 1 ppm
• Potassium 147 mg
• Zinc 0.33 mg
• Phosphorus 75.2 mg
• Vitamin A 427 IU
• Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.08 mg
• Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.13 mg
• Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) 0.11 mg
• Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 6.0 mg
• Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCI) 0.2 mg
• Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) < 1 mcg
• Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 3.65 mg
• Vitamin E 15.2 IU
• Chlorophyll 42.2 mg
• Choline 92.4 mg
Wheatgrass Benefits for Hair
Wheatgrass juice has external benefits as well. It can be used as a scalp treatment to restore luster to hair,
as a skin cleanser and astringent, and as a sinus treatment. There are many people that have seen their gray
hairs vanish with regular intake of wheatgrass juice. Wheatgrass juice keeps hair from graying & removes
Wheatgrass Benefits for Cancer
Wheat grass is known as an alternative cancer therapy. In a study it was found that wheatgrass juice
duplicates the molecular structure of hemoglobin, a important part of the blood, and because it is so rich in
free-radical scavengers such as provitamin A, it may inhibit cancer. Drinking of wheat grass juice helps your
body to build red blood cells which carry oxygen to every cell. By increasing the oxygenation the body you
can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise. Wheat
grass has been found to dissolve scars formed in the lungs and in addition helps wash drug deposits from the
body, purifies the blood and organs and counteracts acids and toxins in the body. It helps to increase the
enzyme level in our cells, aiding in the rejuvenation of the body and the metabolism of nutrients These
enzymes assist in dissolving tumors.